No Plastic Sleeves, by Larry Volk, so far is an incredible story. I call it a story because every page I am reading is helping me put together my story of design or my experience.
On page 16 of the book, the author challenges a future professional designer to reflect on themselves. I chose to take the text literally and here are my thoughts and reflections based on what was written.
How would you describe yourself as a creative professional?
I would describe myself as someone who loves the arts in all kinds and forms. I am someone who takes design very seriously and realizes that it impacts every inch of this world. I truly believe the general person should be aware of design and all that goes into the process so as a society, designers will be more recognized and appreciated.
How would you describe your personality in general?
My personality? Loud, obnoxious at times, colorful, funny, sarcastic. As my boyfriend says, I'm a little girl with a timeless battery.
Work ethic?
I would say i'm hard working when I know it is necessary. I wouldn't say i'm the standard person who procrastinates because there are many times I find myself doing work immediately after it is assigned. But then again, there are times I know I can afford to wait to do something and in that case unfortunately I will wait... Besides that, i'm SUPER organized and can't do anything unless I have lists upon lists to mark down and cross out.
What kind of work do you like to do?
When it comes to design, I enjoy graphics the most. I can't say the same for website coding or flash/animation. While I am familiar with it all my strengths are most certainly in illustration, color and typography. I personally LOVE making publications and posters. I also love using design in anyway that can benefit organizational skills. I find myself using tools of design to assist in real life issues like homework or daily schedules.
For example, for my education courses we are required to annotate many assignments, activities, letters and all sorts of things. We are to then say where in the Connecticut State Curriculum it says a student is required of this. This type of document can in the end be very boring. Why not dress it up with some typography and fun? Here's the beginning... just some color. I hope to add more type and fun as the semester goes! (Every other student in the class is majoring in such things like math, english and psych. Being the only design major I Should take advantage of my inDesign and skip Word.)
.... Answering some of these questions mentally and through writing has made me more aware of who I am as a designer. This is where any of us have to begin. We have to start with an identity as designers.


No comments:
Post a Comment